|Job Title:||Business Development / Broker Relations Manager – BC Region|
A Brighter Financial Future!
Fisgard Asset Management Corporation (Fisgard) is a client-focused, independent manager of Mortgage Investment Corporations (MICs) as well as an Exempt Market Dealer and alternative/private mortgage lender.
Fisgard commenced business in 1994 and has grown to become one of CanadaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s most respected mortgage investment managers specifically focused on Mortgage Investment Corporations (MICs). Fisgard is the manager of Fisgard Capital Corporation and Fisgard Capital II Corporation and distributes the securities of FCC and FCIIC in various provinces of Canada pursuant to their offering memoranda.
Located in beautiful Victoria BC, Fisgard offers mortgage investment products from British Columbia to Ontario. Our company was named after Fisgard Lighthouse which was built in 1860 in Esquimalt Harbour in Victoria. Fisgard Lighthouse symbolizes security, stability and vision Ã¢â‚¬â€œ qualities we believe in and feel are important to our investors. Fisgard recognizes that our most valuable assets are our employees. We offer continued growth and career advancement and reward employees for their efforts and achievements. As we position ourselves to build our company for the future, we are seeking a new member of our Corporate team.
Fisgard is expanding our Business Development / Broker Relations Team! We are looking for an experienced, motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset who is excited to join our successful sales team. The BC Region Broker Relations Manager will be responsible for originating residential mortgages through the mortgage broker channel throughout in British Columbia. You will join a high-performance sales team with the support of an experienced underwriters and administration.
- Develop and maintain mutually beneficial mortgage referral relationships with mortgage brokers in your region
- Provide unparalleled sales support, product training to all your business partners
- Take ownership of your territoryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s volume objectives while maintaining both deal quality and underwriting efficiency standards
- Liaise with your colleagues in underwriting in resolving issues with business partners
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with mortgage brokers, lender referral partners and the mortgage industry community
- Enhance FisgardÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s brand and promote our value proposition as an alternative lender
- Maintain a strong Ã¢â‚¬ËœsalesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ funnel/list of existing and prospective mortgage brokers
- Prepare and present regular reporting to FisgardÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s SVP Broker Relations on all marketing efforts
- Network at mortgage industry and related events
- Develop and maintain appropriate corporate sponsorship opportunities
- Regular provincial travel will be required and you may be required to travel internationally
- Must be fully vaccinated for Canadian and International travel
Qualifications and Experience:
- Passionate sales professional with a proven growth track record
- Expertise in relationship management with high level of persuasion and negotiation skills
- Clear communication skills and ability to simplify processes
- Mortgage Broker License
- Post-secondary degree in business, marketing and/or sufficient years of mortgage lending and marketing experience at the management level to offset a degree.
- 5 years of business development / broker relations experience
- Marketing and social media experience is an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Service oriented
- Ability to work independently
Fisgard Can Offer You:
- Competitive salary and bonus opportunities commensurate with skills and experience
- Great health benefits, RRSP matching programs and recognition programs
- Career growth, development and continuous learning opportunities
- Opportunity to be involved in Fisgard events that help our community
Application Deadline: January 15th, 2022
Please send a cover letter and resume with "Business Development / Broker Relations Manager - BC Region" in the subject line to:
Your Career as a Mortgage Broker
To become registered as a mortgage broker, interested individuals must meet prescribed educational requirements. The Sauder School of Business Real Estate Division at the University of British Columbia provides a course offered through distance learning. For more information, please call 604-822-8444 or visit www.realestate.ubc.ca for the Mortgage Brokerage Licensing Program details.
The CMBA-BC also offers a practical course – the Canadian Mortgage Brokers Course – which provides participants with information currently not part of the UBC mortgage brokers’ course curriculum. This course is not mandatory. It is designed for new or soon-to-be mortgage brokers and will also be very helpful for people in related industries. It provides a clear picture of the processes involved in seeking and obtaining approval of mortgage financing. Please visit our Events Centre for more information on the CMBA-BC course.
Applicants must either complete or challenge the UBC course and then must register with the BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA). BCFSA is the government body that regulates mortgage brokers and can be reached at 604-660-3555.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you must register and obtain a license from BCFSA prior to working as a mortgage broker. It is an offence to carry on the business of a mortgage broker in British Columbia without proper registration and licensing. Please refer to paragraphs above for details on educational requirements.
Mortgage Brokers are compensated on a commission basis so incomes vary widely from one individual to another. A successful mortgage broker will earn an income similar to other successful sales professionals.
While there is no regulation prohibiting this, most companies do not hire part time brokers. It is a challenging career that requires a high level of effort, knowledge and attention to detail. Most employers find that part time brokers are not able to devote the time and energy required to properly serve their clients’ needs in a professional manner.
Many different personalities can be successful but there some common skills and traits that most brokers have. Mortgage Brokers must be fluent in reading, writing and conversing in English. They require knowledge of mathematics to at least the high school level. Integrity is crucial when dealing with clients, financial institutions and other professionals in the real estate industry. Strong interpersonal and stress management skills help brokers deal with clients who are looking for calm guidance and timely answers about an important financial transaction.
A mortgage broker is generally a sales position and requires prospecting for clients. Most new mortgage brokers spend a great deal of time early in their career building a referral network of realtors, accountants, lawyers and other professionals who trust and refer clients to the broker. Over time successful brokers also build a large base of satisfied clients who refer friends and associates to the mortgage broker based on their own positive experience. Some mortgage brokers find advertising successful and some employers provide leads to new brokers.
The provincial regulator requires course completion through the Sauder School of Business. This course can be taken over the period of one year, with written exams at completion. Once you have passed your exams, you will need to find an employer, preferably with an CMBA-BC corporate member. (All graduates are required to work for an existing designated company for a minimum of two (2) years before independent office opportunities.) Once employed, you must submit your registration to BCFSA for your license. Then it is time to Become A Member of CMBA-BC and start attending our educational and networking events. Let us help you launch your career!